Foul Fungi Found

Yesterday, digging around in my plot I discovered, beneath the soil, what looked like some sort of small alien embryo. Resembling a puff ball on the outside, but inside full of slime with something else growing within.

I took it home and we identified it as a fungus known as Stinkhorn - known for its foul smell and phallic shape when mature. The ova inside the fruiting body's jellied coating grows up into the smelly bit. Technically it is called Phallus impudicus.

Apparently the young fungi are edible and, of course, are renowned to have aphrodisiac properties for obvious reasons. Can't say I fancy trying that myself!

I'm wondering whether to bring the fungi back or not. If they develop they'll smell, but they'll also be interesting.


Submitted by Penny, plot 12A

Comments