Project - Making a Mini Hotbed

I decided to try a very limited form of hotbed planting, as I don't have a greenhouse or poly tunnel, but did want to grow tomatoes and other more vulnerable vegetables.

I used a large tray, with a plastic cover, and filled it with very fresh horse manure. I put a layer of compost over the top to prevent the plants being burned by the acidic manure.

I planted tomato, cucumber and chili plant seeds in pots, and stuck them in the manure to keep warm. The seeds have sprouted in less than a week, and all I've had to do is water the pots regularly.

There are white flies on the manure, which are irritating, but they haven't bothered the plants at all.

The photo shows Sarah and Tigger inspecting the emerging cucumber seedlings one week after sowing.


Submitted by Sarah, plot 12B

Comments