Recipe - Classic French Vinaigrette

I make my own vinaigrette in a medium jam jar, so it is ready to use when I want.

Main Ingredients
  • Oil – This could be olive, sunflower or rapeseed. Your choice. I do love the extra virgin first pressed olive oil, as it has quite a strong taste and flavour.
  • Vinegar – They also come in all different flavours. Red wine, cider and the best is the balsamic but it is quite sweet.
  • Mustard – I use Dijon mustard.
  • Salt and Pepper.

Method
  • To make a vinaigrette the proportions are always one measure of vinegar for three of oil and for 500ml of vinaigrette I will use 2 tablespoons of mustard.
  • Mustard first, then vinegar.
  • Mix thoroughly and add oil, salt and pepper.
  • Put the lid on the jar and shake.

How to Serve
In the salad bowl you then put 4 tablespoons of your vinaigrette in the bottom and the salad on top. But beware not to mix before you bring the salad on the table as it will wilt.

Variations
  • Vinaigrette can have so many variants. I very often put a crushed garlic clove in the jar.
  • You can omit the vinegar and put in lemon juice instead if you prefer.
  • In the summer I don't hesitate to add lots of herbs like chives, parsley, mint, basil, fresh oregano, and wild garlic when in season. Capers are a good addition as well.
  • My brother likes to add a very unusual ingredient, and a very British one… a teaspoon of marmite.
  • One of my favourites is hot boiled new potatoes with vinaigrette.

Submitted by Isabelle, plot 15

Comments