Common or Crested?

This little chap was discovered when clearing a large scrubby area of our new allotment (click on photo to enlarge).

The grass was long and it was damp underneath, ideal amphibian territory. My daughter Emily was pulling up the long grass and was delighted to find it. She picked it up, as they do, to have a closer look. I managed to take a picture on my phone when my son was holding it, he has big hands.

We thought it was a lizard to start with as there was no crests anywhere. My husband said it looked like a common newt. Looking online it does seem to be, and perhaps a baby. I hope it wasn't a great crested newt baby as reading online their habitat is protected as they are a threatened species and it is illegal to disturb its natural habitat.

Newts can produce toxins in their skin as a defence against predators so, although they are safe to handle, it's important to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.


Submitted by Jane, plot 2B

Comments