Thinking Ahead

For once, I have remembered to leave a space on the allotment for a good row of Spring Cabbages, which I plan to sow this week. Usually I forget and end up with them dotted all over the place wherever there is a gap between other plants. I think this is because it always seems too early to be sowing next years' crops when I am manically harvesting courgettes and beans.

I like to grow an over-wintering variety (Offenham), and they survive, under just a cover of netting to keep the pigeons off, except in the most extreme weather. Other varieties can be sown in Feb - March but they won't be ready as early. If you grow plenty you can harvest some as spring greens, then leave the others to heart up, generally in May, making it the first fresh outdoor veg of the year.


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments