Wasp's Nest

Some wasps have built a nest in the small shed on my allotment.

My son accidently came upon the nest whilst picking berries near the shed last month and got stung on the eye, which was quite frightening as his whole face swelled up for about five days. I also know that Charlie on plot 22 disturbed a nest in the ground and was stung three times in the same day. I know that wasps are beneficial in the garden as they eat pests like insects and caterpillars, but it's a bit awkward when they are in such close proximity to where you are gardening.

Wasps are not my favourite insect, so I would probably say that in future it would be best all round to remove or destroy a nest which is close to where you work on the allotment as soon as you spot them building it. They are very protective of it and are quite likely to be aggressive. As for mine, now it's so late in the season, and I don't venture onto that area, then I will leave them be to hibernate for the winter.


Submitted by Kim, plots 1 & 4A

Comments