Dressing for Winter

We've been busy clearing the allotment in the last few weeks, leaving mainly the over-wintering brassicas, then bringing in large quantities of well-rotted horse manure to cover the exposed soil for the winter.

There are several options available for protecting the plot during the harsh weather - some people put plastic sheeting over their soil while others grow green manures. I like to put an ample covering of rotted horse manure on mine. The important thing is to cover the soil in some way and not leave it exposed to the wind and rain which will damage the fertility and structure of the topsoil.

Personally, I'm not a fan of covering with sheeting every winter as I feel that some cold and frost on the soil helps to kill off diseases. Because I have a no-dig plot, I tend not to use green manures for soil cover either (most of them you have to dig in the following spring), which pretty much leaves me with the option of using manure or compost.

I like this option as the worms take the manure into the soil over the winter, leaving a nice fertile soil come spring, with no digging! Also, most riding stables will let you take horse manure away for free if you have transport and bring your own shovel.

Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments