Reflections from a new plot

My thoughts from the first year, which in my case only started in the latter part of March, so I began with a rush to "cultivate by the end of April". Subsequent events meant that I have not been able to spend as much time on the allotment as I would have liked, and everything has been planted later than usual.

Plain Pond is a wonderful allotment site: the people are so friendly and helpful; the location is wonderful and the water and horse manure arrangements are a real bonus. There is a lot of experience available. It is fascinating watching different cultivation methods being tried and working well or not.

  1. You need the first year to get to know your allotment. I've been surprised at how varied the soil is in such a small area. My year has been only partially successful, and reflects the experience of several others: tomato and courgette glut, squash very late but did produce in the end, parsnips OK, sweetcorn OK. Leeks disaster, broad beans only just OK. Insufficiently protected cabbage, broccoli and kale - all written off after destruction by pigeons, flea beetle and other pests.
  2. Listen to the locals:
    • I think I aligned my polytunnel the wrong way, despite what it said in the instructions. I will be relocating it for next year.
    • I should have been prepared for leek moth caterpillar - a new pest to me!
    • If there is a pest doing the rounds on the allotments, I will get it. Something to do with the prevailing winds I guess.

I am picking myself up, digging for victory and looking forward to doing things properly next year (fingers crossed!).

Thank you for your advice and friendship over the past months. It has really helped to make a positive allotment experience.


Submitted by Penny, plot 12A

Comments