Green Gooseberry & Elderflower Jelly

We haven't had a recipe on the blog for a while so I thought I would share this seasonal treat! I know that some of you have been making rhubarb chutney (yum!), but I had a glut of small green gooseberries which I wanted to preserve.

The usual recipe I've seen for this combination is a jam, but, frankly, I couldn't be bothered to top and tail all those gooseberries so I opted for a simple - but attractive - jelly instead. Last year I invested in a maslin pan and a jelly straining bag and they have been well worth it. To make this jelly I used:

  • 1kg green gooseberries (washed)
  • 10 heads of elderflower (bugs removed). Reserve one for adding later.
  • Sugar

Put the gooseberries in a maslin or other very large pan, cover with water, place the elderflower heads on top and simmer for half an hour until the gooseberries are soft and have released their juice. Set up your jelly bag over a bowl and tip the contents into the bag. Allow to drip overnight.

The following day, bring the juice to the boil and add the sugar (450g for every 600ml of juice). Boil rapidly until setting point is reached then stand to cool for ten minutes. Meanwhile, carefully remove the tiny flowers from your reserved elderflower head and stir them into the jelly as decoration. Pour into sterilised jars and eat as soon as possible!

Tip: if you have a heavy crop of gooseberries it is a good idea to thin them by at least half to allow the remainder to ripen and sweeten.


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments