My Missing Leeks

The curious case of the disappearing leeks! Shortly after planting out my beautiful young leeks in their holes a lot of them vanished overnight. Was it birds to blame? There didn't seem to be sufficient slug trails visible to suggest that they were the culprits. It remains a mystery.

Brian (plot 12B), was kind enough to donate some spare young leeks to my cause and they were duly planted in the gaps - thank you Brian. By the next day, half of those had gone too. The mystery deepens.

I resorted to buying some more leeks and resolved to cover my leek bed with a mesh cover. When I went to fill in the holes where leeks were missing I found a frog in one of them. I have not heard of frogs nicking veg so I hope he was eating slugs! I think we're lucky to be near Kim's pond, the frogs must have bred there and they live in the strawberry patch which is handy for us.


Submitted by Yvonne, plot 21

Comments