Cape Gooseberry Warning

I learned something new this week: apparently unripe (green) cape gooseberries can be poisonous, as are all the other parts of the plant. I've eaten quite a few under-ripe ones with no ill-effects, although they weren't tasty.

There was nothing on the seed packet about them being toxic. Fortunately, I only put yellow ones in the chutney so I don't need to throw it all away! Most of mine are still green and they keep falling off the plant before they're ready. I'll try storing them for a while in case they ripen up.

I thought I should share this warning as I know there are others at the allotments who grow this crop. I had been intending to add green ones to green tomato chutney but luckily thought I'd check if it was safe first!


Submitted by Yvonne, plot 21

Comments