War of the Leeks

So, Leek moths (little b******s!), but at least this year I may have found a way to get a usable crop. Following my blog last year, I decided to try an experiment.

This year I tried covering half my leek crop with a frame covered in mesh. Hopefully you can see the difference in the photo (click to enlarge). Although there is still some damage from Leek moth, it is only slight and the crop is usable, whereas the unprotected crop has been badly affected.

So, over the winter I will build a frame to cover the whole row and see how that works, and let you know.

As with all pests, it's important to know as much information about them so that you can try to limit their impact. The Leek moth has two generations of larvae during the summer, the first in May-June, and the second from August-October causing the most damage. When they are fully fed, the caterpillars are about 10mm long - white with a brown head. They pupate in net-like silk cocoons spun on the foliage. Next year, keep checking your plants throughout the summer for any cocoons and squash them to limit the future number of leek moths.


Submitted by John, plot 16

Comments