Sharing Success!

Last year saw the start of a plot sharing initiative at the allotments. The aim is to match an existing plot-holder with someone from the allotment waiting list. They then come to a short-term agreement which is to their mutual benefit.

The advantages are numerous: the plot-holder gains some temporary help with the work on their allotment, whilst the person from the waiting list gets to share the produce and the experience until they get a plot of their own. The scheme has been trialled on plot 15 since last August, and has been a resounding success.

Isabelle needed help with her allotment as she was expecting to be away a lot in the coming year, but she didn't know anyone who would be interested. At the same time, there were a number of people, including Julia, on the waiting list who were facing a year-long wait for a plot of their own. Isabelle turned to the committee for help - and an idea was born.

Julia says; "I filled in the online application for an allotment and could see that I was number 7 on the waiting list. Oh well, I thought, it looks as though I'm in for quite a wait. So imagine my surprise and delight when, a few weeks later, I received an email asking if I would consider sharing a plot whilst waiting my turn. A perfect solution!"

"It has given me the chance to meet new people, to watch and learn, and - best of all - to work on the allotment. Sharing a plot is an idea that I can recommend to anyone who feels that they don't have enough time to cope with all the jobs on their allotment, and to those on the waiting list it offers a good opportunity to get started."

Isabelle and Julia decided that sharing the whole plot works best for them, but every arrangement will be different according to the needs of the people involved. Hopefully though, they will all be just as successful.

 

Comments