DIY Bottle Cloches & Other Recycling Tips

I like my drinking water to be spring water. There are a few reasons for my choice, the main one is the water where I live tastes horrid. So I buy my water, this means I get left with a quite a few empty bottles each week.

I’ve come up with a number of ideas for using the empty water bottles, for instance those of you who grow orchids will know that you need a clear holder to let the light in to the roots. I cut the bottom off some of the smaller bottles. Sized to fit the plant holder; I then make lots of holes for drainage. They work really well. My best orchid is planted in one of these!

The bigger five litre bottles have several uses; left complete they are great for holding down garden fleeces. Just fill them with tap water to create the weight needed. Cut the bottoms off and they make great drawer dividers. My third drawer down was a bit messy, now each item has its own divider and being square they fit together; just right.

This leaves me with the tops which of course make great individual cloches for my greens and other plants. I can water around the base of the plant or even unscrew the top and water directly on top. The bottles being of a good size and height mean the plant can really get going before I have to remove it.

What’s more they don’t blow around everyone else’s plot as each bottle has its own individual carry handle and by sticking a large bamboo cane upright in the ground I can place each handle over the cane. This keeps them all compact in one space.

That’s recycling!




Submitted by Jim, Plot 13

Comments