New Tools for Old Jobs

I usually buy my tools second-hand at markets or fairs, and have no complaints about their quality and comfort. Recently, however, I treated myself to a shiny new hand weeding tool.

The Nunki Weeder is hand-made by craftsmen coppersmiths; it has an oiled beech handle and a sharp curved bronze blade. The small size and hooped shape makes it easy to use, particularly around small plants and between rows. As with all hoes, the action has the added benefit of cultivating the soil surface.

Bronze tools, although softer than steel, have many other benefits. The metal is more beneficial to the soil and health of the plants than conventional tools as it doesn't disturb soil magnetism and - most importantly - does not attract slugs! Normally, any digging disturbance in the soil is like a magnetic beacon to slugs, who are often rewarded by finding newly planted delicacies.

Bronze is a copper alloy, which is thought to deter slugs and snails, and, although I won't be leaving mine outdoors (or at the allotment!) it also won't rust.

Most of you know that I don't dig my plot, but I do a fair amount of hoeing, particularly hand-hoeing. For small, awkward areas, the Nunki may well become my favourite tool.



Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments