DIY Tomato Plants

I really like tomatoes so I am growing loads of them on my allotment. I started out with just a couple of plants I had been given, but by taking cuttings I now have around twenty plants.

Tomatoes are very easy to propagate. This is what I do:

First, find a new side shoot a couple of inches long. They grow in the ‘elbow’ between the main stem and the branches and are usually removed by pruning on vine tomato plants.

With a very sharp knife cleanly cut the shoot from the plant, cutting straight across the bottom.

Put the shoot in some moist compost (no need for any rooting powder) and put in a cool, shady place until a good root system has grown. It will look sad for a while but it will grow!

Each tomato plant can make ten or more new ones for free and, hopefully, means I will be eating tomatoes for months!


Submitted by Jimmy, plot 14B

Comments