Local Kale

I always like to learn new things and recently I found out more about a plant I already have growing on my allotment!

A few years ago I was given a cutting of a perennial kale plant by another plot-holder, Gillian, who has since moved away. She had been told it was called Cottage Kale. I duly planted it and harvest from it occasionally, although it’s primary use seems to be that of pigeon attractor! It’s very easy to propagate and I have since taken cuttings for other people which are also doing well.

Mostly it gets ignored, but I like it because it requires no work, is very prolific, and is always there whenever there is a shortage of other greenery to eat – as well as keeping the pigeons distracted and away from my other crops.

It turns out my plant is the very specifically named Taunton Deane Kale (Brassica oleracea var Acephala), and is a very old variety of perennial kale. It was also known as cottager’s kale or crofter's kale and would have been common in vegetable gardens up until Victorian times. Thought to have been lost, it was apparently re-discovered in Taunton Deane: hence the name.

It is one of only two types of perennial kale found in the UK – Daubenton’s being the other one. The plant will live happily for around seven years and rarely flowers. If anyone would like a cutting in the spring to help keep this old variety going do come and ask me.


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments