Herby-licious!

Throughout the last growing season I was growing herbs in my new herb bed. I have a love of mints and love mint tea and miss the fresh just-picked leaves as they have such a different taste to dried out varieties. I also love chives and these can take four or five severe trimmings each season.

In the autumn, before the onset of the first frosts, I went down with several bags, picked, cut and harvested my herb bed. I thought to myself so many of us grow herbs but how often do you see people harvesting them?

Laden with freshly picked basil, thyme, lemon balm, marjoram, oregano, chives, parsley, different sages, mints and others I went home and dried them out on some shelves and newspaper for a few weeks.

Once completely dry I blend them together and now have a couple of very large jars of mixed herbs. A nice jar of mint tea as well. I look at the price of mixed herbs and herb teas in the shops and I can instantly see how much money I saved.

I also harvested my lavender flowers and the dried out flowers are now in some muslin bags placed in my drawers and cupboards to deter moths.


Submitted by Jim, plot 13

Comments