Back from the Brink

This photo of very healthy-looking potatoes on Alison's plot is remarkable because a month ago they were nothing but shrivelled black stems.

My potatoes got badly hit by the last frost, back in early May, says Alison. I had covered them but it rained, and then froze: the foliage was completely destroyed.

I looked up advice on what to do and decided to cut the stems off at ground level and feed the potatoes with potassium, which luckily I already had. This seems to have done the trick and I'm amazed at how healthy they look now.

There is a chance I may end up with a smaller harvest in the long run, but we'll have to wait and see. At the moment, I'm just very relieved not to have to start all over again with new seed potatoes!


Submitted by Alison, plot 17B

Comments