Horn Manure

As most of you know, I like experiment with anything which helps me to grow great organic vegetables and this week I've been delving further into biodynamic practice by using horn manure to inject vitality to my soil.

I bought it online from the Biodynamic Association - visit their website if you want to know more.

Horn manure is a fermented cow manure preparation, otherwise known as Preparation 500 - one of a number of biodynamic preparations available. A cow horn is filled with manure and buried in soil over the winter. The subsequent application of this tonic enlivens the microbes which exist in the soil which, in turn, enables the soil to support healthy, growing plants of superior vitality and abundance.

To apply the preparation you mix the manure thoroughly with water and spray it over the soil prior to sowing or planting. This is best carried out during the optimum time in the lunar cycle for soil absorption of nutrients. In the photo I'm spraying droplets over my allotment using a natural bristle brush.

To judge the success of a biodynamic approach you only have to look at the outstanding quality of produce from the thousands of biodynamic vineyards, farms and smallholdings worldwide. I'm hoping to share a little of that success myself this year!


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments