A Helping Hand

It's easy to be seduced into buying stuff you don't really need when you're starting out. Gardening brochures are full of props and tools, all of which are advertised as being completely essential! My friend Alison bought a potato scoop which she's never used, and we've pretty much given up with the drip watering system in our greenhouse.

To be honest, many of the items on offer are just gimmicky and you really don't need them or you can recycle unwanted items to do the same job. Some things, however, are worth getting. I would suggest you ask your gardening friends what their five most-used tools are and buy the ones which come up on all their lists.

On my list would be this potting tray which I bought for £4 second-hand on Gumtree a few years ago. It is so useful I really wouldn't be without it now.


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments