Pretty Popcorn Presents

One of the pleasures of having a garden or allotment is being able to gift things you've grown or made from your produce. I swap jams, jellies and chutneys with my friends in return for honey and other goodies, and visitors and workmen always leave with a jar or two of something tasty.

This year, I've grown popping corn for the first time. We love DIY popcorn, and I was cautiously hopeful of growing it myself. I grew a multi-coloured variety which is very attractive (more pics below) and, of course, I grew it in our garden at home rather than at the allotment to prevent cross pollination with everyone's sweetcorn!

Unlike sweetcorn, you leave popcorn cobs on the plant until they're dry. I harvested mine a couple of months ago, just before all the rain started. Ideally, I'd have left them on the plants a little longer, but they seem to have dried out ok in the house. Apparently you should aim for 14% liquid content. A single cob makes two big bowls of popcorn - just add salt or syrup and enjoy!

Happily, things went well and this year, instead of jam, my friends all received a popcorn cob with their Christmas card!


Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments