Growing and Sowing

Jan & I were looking at her rhubarb patch recently, exclaiming over the amount of new growth. Although we've been beset with high winds and torrential rain, the winter has actually been very mild and everything is growing apace.

Maybe we will have a cold snap (snow in April or even May is not unheard of), but in the meantime the weeds are growing and the raspberry canes are sprouting even as I cut them back. Whereas normally we'd still be thinking spring is a long way off, suddenly there is some urgency to get jobs done.

When it comes to sowing however, I recommend being patient. Most things can wait until March and April. The risk with sowing too early is being over-run with small plants before the weather is warm enough for them to go in the ground. Fleece can help, but the allotment site is very windy and exposed.

So, for now at least, I'm going to enjoy being warm by the fire while I check my seed packets and plan where everything will go this year.

Submitted by Jane, plot 9

Comments